Who We Are » History

Founded in 1780, Frederick Presbyterian Church came to West Second Street in 1825, when our current church building was completed. Some points of interest:

  • As in the days of the Civil War, when the FPC building served as a hospital for injured soldiers, our church continues to respond to the needs of the local community.
  • FPC has been visited by many historical figures, including General Stonewall Jackson.
  • FPC members and ministers were instrumental in founding and influencing early educational institutions throughout Frederick, including the Frederick Academy, Frederick Boys High School, Frederick Girls High School, and the Maryland School for the Deaf.
  • The first meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous in Frederick were held at FPC, and we continue to be home to more than 20 meetings each week.
  • FPC is a founding member of the Frederick Cold Weather Shelter. In the early days, the shelter rotated among a number of downtown churches. Today, FPC continues to support and staff the Cold Weather Shelter during the winter months.

As FPC grew over the years, consideration was given to moving the church from the center of the city to the Frederick suburbs, but it was decided to maintain our downtown location and ministry. This decision continues to direct the course and mission of the church.